Friday, April 01, 2005

Do I look Jewish to you?

So, I've had two different people, in two different ways, infer that I'm Jewish. This is a new development, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

The first person was a dude that was a bit whacked who came into the Urgent Care area where I was observing. He asked if I was Jewish, then proceeded to tell all of us in the area that he was studying Hebrew, and that John in Hebrew is Mark. So, he continued, "John" Hopkins should be called "Mark" Hopkins. I thought about noting to him that "John" isn't Mr. Hopkins first name, that "Johns" is, but I figured he might have more fun in his own world, not in mine. It sure looked interesting enough from the outside looking in. Might need a bit of dusting, though.

The second person was more of a reach, but it still counts. I ordered something at the cafeteria, and the lady quickly told me that there was pork in the dish. Unless she thought I had some sort of pork eating disease or fear of pork (porkophobia? swineophobia?), I figured she thought I was Jewish.

So, I'm not really sure what to do with this. I hadn't even realized this was happening. I guess it's not a bad thing. I have some Jewish friends, and they're all pretty cool, so far's I know. I'm just curious what the Hebrew name for Jack is. Knowing my luck, it's probably Schmuck (hey, more rhymin' by me!).

So, now that that's over, let's get down to the real stuff. There's this tune on the Garden State soundtrack that I've mentioned before - "One of These Things First" by Nick Drake - and I went to get the guitar tab on it today. Well, it looks pretty tough, and I also found out that the dude was seriously mentally ill, and the song is from the late 60s. Turns out, he was extremely depressed, and even quit making music at one point because of his bouts with it. So, naturally, I went and ordered one of his CDs. We'll see how that goes. In the end, it sounds from what I read like he committed suicide, although his family won't allow that to be the cause of death. Interesting stuff, in a morbid sort of way.

Segueway ... speaking of that soundtrack, I also went and looked up the band Zero 7. Now, the song I like on the soundtrack has this chick singing, and she's got this really cool voice. So, I'm thinking she'll look like Poe, or Vega, or maybe even Ani DiFranco. Hot stuff, ya know? Well, it's two dudes. WTF? I haven't felt this robbed since I found out that C&C Music Factory were three people that looked like someone's parents. Frick. Turns out, Zero 7 used a guest vocalist on the song. D'oh.

A'ight, I'm out of here. This just in - it's FRIDAY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home